Saturday, March 24, 2018

HOW TO CAN HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP

Isn’t it glorious in the Spring when you get that week of absolutely beautiful weather: the sun is shining, you can finally feel the warmth on your face, there is a hint of green in the grass and the birds are twittering their happy song. It gives you hope that the long, gloomy days of winter are finally over and summer is just around the corner. Then it dumps on you! Again! I can’t even see to the end of my back yard and I’ve only got a quarter of an acre, not that far. Eight more inches of that white stuff (I don’t even want to say that 4-letter word).


As I look on my menu calendar to see what I’ve scheduled for dinner, it just doesn’t seem like a taco
day and my mind goes back to those cold blustery days of my childhood. Mom would fix grilled
cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, one of the best comfort meals there is in my opinion. She
would open up a jar of tomatoes that she had canned, put it into the blender and puree it. Then she
would add the pureed tomatoes to a pot with about a half to a full jar of milk,  some salt and pepper
and a little butter. She would heat it up and add about a half a teaspoon of baking soda to cut down
on the foaming of the tomatoes. It was so yummy and creamy! I loved it. It is so much better than the
store bought version in a can.


This last summer when I was up to my elbows in tomatoes, my neighbor gave me a recipe for
tomato soup. She said that every year, she and her mother-in-law get together and can about 100
quarts. Yikes! I figured if they do that many every year it must be good. So I gave it a try, I’ve got to
tell you it is really, really good. It hits the spot for those cold wintery days or for any day you want a
quick meal, just pop the lid and heat it up. I’d like to share it with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as
I have and don’t give up hope that summer will be here soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment